New Grads & Students

Summer Students

We hire students for summer positions every year in different areas such as water and wastewater, compliance, administration, asset management, human resources, finance, communications and more.  We hire regular summer students and we also hire through our “Summer Experience Program." To learn more about Ontario Public Service (OPS) and OCWA summer student opportunities, visit the OPS careers website.

Co-operative Education

We provide co-op students with paid practical work experience in the water and wastewater industry.  Many of our co-op students end up becoming full-time employees who grow their careers at OCWA.

Co-op placements are posted at various educational institutions across Ontario. Check for co-op job postings with your school’s career centre and respective co-op office.

Loyalist College - Environmental Technician

Northern College - Environmental Technician Program


OCWA currently offers two scholarships for indigenous students who are planning an environmental career. The scholarships offer up to $2,500 plus a paid co-op work term and are awarded annually.

This is open to:

  • Indigenous students entering or enrolled in an Environmental Co-op Program at an Ontario college or university. Stay tuned for the 2020 application process.

Book a Facility Tour

If you're interested in booking a tour of an OCWA water or wastewater facility, please contact the Communications Department at A representative will be able to provide you with contact information for the facility you are looking to tour.

Please note: OCWA cannot guarantee that all facilities can accommodate group requests. However, many of them are happy to provide tours to schools and community groups. These are decided on a case-by-case basis.

For environmental youth resources, please visit the Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks.

How to Become a Water and Wastewater Operator

To get hired as an Operator (or Trainee), you need to obtain your Operator in Training (OIT) certificate.  Read the Guide on how to obtain your Operator in Training Certificate.

There a few minimum requirements before you can obtain your OIT certificate:

  • High school diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
  • Pass Operator-in-Training (OIT) examination
  • For Drinking Water OITs: Drinking Water Operators Entry Level Course (if course is not completed, a temporary 16-month OIT certificate will be issued)

The OIT certificate is the first step to your career pathway into the water and wastewater industry.  For more information about OIT Certificate Exam Schedules, forms and guidance documents please visit the OWWCO website or the MOECC website.

Once you obtain your OIT certification, you are able to progress to higher certificate levels 1 through 4. This involves:

  • relevant work experience
  • further education
  • successful completion of the MOECC certification exam for each level

Learn more about the different certificate levels and upgrading certificates.